Education has become very vital in the lives of people in this modern and digital world. Even though life is not all about education, having a bit of education in your life speeds up your life in many instances. There is a need in every formal education system to access students’ knowledge of what they have been taught and or learned in order to determine their level of understanding and how they apply knowledge. This makes examinations play an important role in education. Do you really think that an academic system without examinations is the best?
Every academic system needs an examination component to function. Understanding it is therefore absolutely essential. The approach you take will depend on how well you comprehend things. In the same way, how well you understand the test will show how you feel about it, how important it will be to you, and how you will approach it.
Students and anyone else involved in any kind of educational system would do well to understand what exams are for and why they are important.
The following three questions: ‘What is an examination? “Why do we write examinations?” and ‘What is the importance of examination?’ This will help you to understand the meaning of the examination in a deeper way.
WHAT EXACTLY IS EXAMINATION?
An examination is a series of questions or activities designed to evaluate a candidate’s knowledge or skills. It is the process of evaluating the knowledge or skills of students or candidates through the administration of a test, typically in the form of questions. It is a method of providing an account of the knowledge that you have been given responsibility for or of the information that you have acquired. It is a test of a student’s knowledge or skills in a certain area, and if the student is successful in the test, they will receive a qualification for that subject.
WHY DO WE WRITE EXAMINATIONS?
The key justifications for writing exams include the following:
• It is a fundamental condition that must be satisfied by each and every student in order to move on to the next level, and it is mandated by the educational establishment or system as a fundamental prerequisite. This means that a student must be able to get the passing grade set by the exam board to show that they understand the material before they can move on to the next level or get the certificate they need, if one is to be given.
• To evaluate whether you have internalized the information that you were instructed to learn in the appropriate manner. There is always a wrong way to study, which is why tests are used to determine whether students are learning correctly.
• With the purpose of determining whether or not you have internalized the information that you were taught and whether or not you understand it. Students can show how smart they are and how much they understand about a certain subject by taking tests and getting grades based on how well they do.
• To evaluate your physical and mental preparedness for moving on to the subsequent, more difficult level of study. Education and, more specifically, the work involved in academic pursuits becomes increasingly time-consuming and challenging as one advances up the career ladder. Students who are interested in continuing their education to a higher level need to demonstrate their readiness at lower levels of education by achieving satisfactory results on all mandatory examinations before being accepted to a higher level of study.
• The objective of the examination is not to fail students or punish them in any way; rather, it is to prepare them for higher levels of academic endeavor and to promote them to those levels. The test is designed in such a way that those who are knowledgeable should succeed while those who are not knowledgeable should not. This is what an exam is all about, and it doesn’t mean that a student should be punished or get a bad grade.
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF EXAMINATION?
• Students will gain confidence as a result of the examination. Exams have the effect of boosting a student’s self-confidence, which in turn makes them more willing to put in extra effort. If you are an expert at what you do, you will naturally feel more confident in your abilities. A significant number of students feel anxious about their performance on exams and exert a great deal of energy in an attempt to do their very best. Because receiving good grades boosts a student’s confidence, they are more driven to put in extra effort when they are in class as a result of this boost.
• Taking tests helps you learn more, as well as increases your capacity to comprehend, remember, and put knowledge or information to use when it’s required. Exams facilitate increased learning and make it simpler for individuals to assimilate newly acquired information. People’s perspectives are broadened and their spirits are raised as a result of it. Exams have helped individuals improve their reading, studying, and research skills, which is another benefit of taking them.
• It is a requirement for advancement to the next level and serves as a qualification for doing so.
• Evaluation and accountability are both achieved through the use of this method.
• When you achieve an achievement, you are rewarded with feelings of excitement and fulfillment.
• It strengthens one’s mental capabilities as well as their self-assurance in preparation for the next level.